Biking to Better Safety | Families
May is National Bike Month, a celebration of cyclists and the pastime they enjoy. Whether you ride a bicycle to work or school, or for exercise, National Bike Month is a great reminder of how to stay safe while biking on the road.
According to the Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, in Georgia, as in most states, the bicycle is legally a vehicle, meaning that general traffic laws apply to cyclists. And because bikes share the road with cars and trucks, accidents can happen.
Sean Sue, M.D., an Emergency Medicine physician at Piedmont Hospital, says the most important safety tip for a cyclist is to always wear a helmet. “Head injuries account for two thirds of all bicycle-related deaths,” he says. “Helmets reduce the risk of head injury by more than 85 percent.”
You can find more tips for drivers and more tips for bicyclists in this Biking to Better Safety report on HealthWatchMD.
Upcoming Events near Grant Park
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Blank, MLS Commissioner welcome Atlanta's appetite for soccer
- Center for Puppetry Arts to Display Iconic Mask and Puppets Featured in Disney’s THE LION KING
- Heros4Heros Fun Run and Healthy Heroes Festival
- Fulton County Workforce Development Offers Employment Assistance to 16 – 21 Year Olds
- Publix Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon Will Attract Thousands to Atlanta for Eighth Annual Running