Indicted APS educator Willie Davenport dies | News
ATLANTA -- Willie Davenport, one of the 35 defendants in the Atlanta Public Schools cheating scandal, died Tuesday night.
A school board member confirmed Davenport passed away after a battle with breast cancer.
She was a former principal at D.H. Stanton Elementary School in southeast Atlanta.
Tamara Cotman, one of Davenport's co-defendants, is currently on trial in Fulton County Superior Court. Tuesday afternoon, APS interim superintendent Erroll Davis took the stand. Davis testified that he fired Cotman, a former APS supervisor, for incompetence and unethical behavior.
Closing arguments in Cotman's trial begin Thursday morning.
Upcoming Events near Grant Park
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hunger Walk marks 30th anniversary Sunday
- Blank, MLS Commissioner welcome Atlanta's appetite for soccer
- Center for Puppetry Arts to Display Iconic Mask and Puppets Featured in Disney’s THE LION KING
- Heros4Heros Fun Run and Healthy Heroes Festival
- Fulton County Workforce Development Offers Employment Assistance to 16 – 21 Year Olds