Panda cubs named Mei Lun and Mei Huan | News
ATLANTA -- The twin panda cubs at Zoo Atlanta have learned their names.
The twin boys will now be known as Mei Lun and Mei Huan, according to the zoo. The names were revealed during a ceremony Wednesday morning.
The pandas' names mean "something indescribably beautiful and magnificent."
In accordance with Chinese tradition, the pandas had to wait to learn their names until they were 100 days old.
"These pandas are so fragile when they're born. They need to get some size and some age on them before they are really out of the woods so it's a big milestone for us," said Zoo Atlanta's Dwight Lawson.
It's also a big milestone for Atlanta, with so much international attention on these twins.
"People do business with those that they like, and so if you can develop a warm relationship around these wonderful pandas I think that strong relationships begin," said Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed.
Upcoming Events near Grant Park
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Blank, MLS Commissioner welcome Atlanta's appetite for soccer
- Center for Puppetry Arts to Display Iconic Mask and Puppets Featured in Disney’s THE LION KING
- Heros4Heros Fun Run and Healthy Heroes Festival
- Fulton County Workforce Development Offers Employment Assistance to 16 – 21 Year Olds
- Publix Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon Will Attract Thousands to Atlanta for Eighth Annual Running