Another bongo born at Zoo Atlanta | Urban Wildlife
ATLANTA -- Matilda, a rare eastern bongo at Zoo Atlanta, has given birth to her second calf in as many years.
The baby was born Dec. 2 and is the second calf for Matilda and her 5-year-old mate Tambo.
RELATED | Eastern bongo expecting baby
Matilda, 5, gave birth to her first calf exactly one year earlier -- on Dec. 2, 2011. That baby, Beauregard, is the first bongo born at the Grant Park zoo.
Zoo Atlanta spokeswoman Keisha Hines said eastern bongos are critically endangered. Experts believe fewer than 500 remain in the wild.
Top Grant Park Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- GSU's top rookie Merrigan, First-Team SS Prain highlight All-CAA selections
- Formula: Graduation rate soars among Georgia high school students
- Braves, other MLB teams wearing camo uniforms for Memorial Day
- Exclusive Interview: Chrisette Michele opens up about her new look, new book and new music
- Falcons new stadium money approved by NFL owners