Weaning begins for Po the panda | Urban Wildlife
ATLANTA -- Zoo Atlanta's giant panda cub has begun the weaning process.
Po, who was born in November 2010, began weaning on Jan. 3. Zoo Atlanta spokeswoman Keisha Hines said Po is eating more bamboo, fruit and leafeater biscuits to decrease his dependence on his mother Lun Lun's milk. He and Lun Lun are also spending more time apart.
PHOTOS | Po the panda grows up
Po is the third of Lun Lun's cubs to be weaned, according to Zoo Atlanta Curator of Mammals Dr. Rebecca Snyder.
"Po's weaning process is moving along well, and we know from the behavior of his two brothers and Lun Lun that we have an effective plan," Snyder said in a statement.
Once Po's weaning is complete, he, Lun Lun and other giant pandas Yang Yang and Xi Lan will moved to separate giant panda exhibits at the zoo.
Upcoming Events near Grant Park
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Blank, MLS Commissioner welcome Atlanta's appetite for soccer
- Center for Puppetry Arts to Display Iconic Mask and Puppets Featured in Disney’s THE LION KING
- Heros4Heros Fun Run and Healthy Heroes Festival
- Fulton County Workforce Development Offers Employment Assistance to 16 – 21 Year Olds
- Publix Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon Will Attract Thousands to Atlanta for Eighth Annual Running